Saturday, July 28, 2007

Library 2.0

Wow. Library 2.0 is a lot to think about. At first, reading the Wikipedia info, I thought “it’s a good idea; of course I’d like to see my library continue to move forward to improve service.” Reading the different perspectives from the OCLC newsletter REALLY opened my eyes to the various possibilities though.

I most appreciated “Away from Icebergs” and “To A Temporary Place in Time.” In the first, he was clear on the time-honored traditions we need to be willing to let go of. In the latter, it was great to see beyond Library 2.0. What’s hip & modern today is outdated tomorrow.

The other viewpoints also ha good points but I felt that they may have forgotten that in a PUBLIC library, we don’t just serve the tech-savvy crowd.

In any case, I’d love to see our library move ahead with the times, just as long as we never get stuck in any one moment of time AND as long as we don’t forget to serve our more traditionalist patrons. They too are worthy.

No comments: