Saturday, August 4, 2007

Wikis

I’m already quite a fan of Wikipedia. At the desk, I use it when I’m at a loss of where to begin with a reference query, if only to point me in the right direction. Personally, I use it for all things non-medical.

I found the Book Lovers Wiki most interesting and useful. I’ve often lamented the fact that we don’t keep a running tab of patron & staff book reviews on books in our collection. This one is great. I even picked up a title to try for my short story reading group! Yea!

What I love about wikis is how you can wiki about anything you please. The Bull Run Library Wiki is a great example of that. Unfortunately, it’s also what I don’t like about it. How do I know I can trust this patron who seems so enamored with the library they’ve decided to wiki it??? I suppose that’s the cool thing about the Book Lovers Wiki. Book reviews are inherently subjective. But whether [xyz] library program will be guest moderated by [favorite writer] or not isn’t.

No comments: